12/13/2018 - The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) announced today that annual lifeguard qualifying procedures begin on Jan. 19, 2019. New Yorkers that love the outdoors and are looking for summer employment are encouraged to register for these free sessions.
Seasonal lifeguard positions are available in DEC campgrounds throughout the Adirondack and Catskill parks this summer. The current hourly rate for DEC lifeguards is $13.27, and most facilities offer free housing.
Individuals 16 and older interested in lifeguard jobs at DEC facilities this summer may register. DEC qualifying procedures will be offered through June 22, 2019. Candidates who qualify will be considered for employment. The procedure includes an in-water demonstration of lifesaving techniques and performance of Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) skills. Candidates may attend the DEC qualifying location most convenient to them, and results will be forwarded to their preferred work location.
At the time of employment, all DEC lifeguards must:
• Be at least 16 years old;
• Possess a valid certification in Waterfront Lifeguarding, CPR for the Professional Rescuer and Healthcare Provider, and First Aid (if not included in the lifeguard training course);
• Have successfully completed the DEC lifeguard qualifying procedure;
• Submitted a current certification of the candidate's physical ability to perform lifeguard duties;
• Meet the vision requirement of 20/70 uncorrected in both eyes and be correctable to the 20/40 standard. Candidates tested at a vision level below 20/40 in either one or both eyes must correct to a minimum of 20/40 with 20/20 preferred;
• Have completed a personal interview with DEC; and
• Have attended a DEC lifeguard orientation.
Qualifying procedures will begin on time and late arrivals will not be accepted. Candidates will be given a 15 minute warm-up period to become familiar with the pool and equipment. Candidates must bring photo identification, current certifications (if available), and their own CPR mask.
Local 2019 Qualifying Dates and Locations are:
Saturday, Feb. 16, 4 p.m. at Catskill Recreation Center, 651 County Hwy 38, Arkville (DEC Candidates Only);
Friday, April 19, 4 p.m. at Catskill Recreation Center, 651 County Hwy 38, Arkville (DEC Candidates Only);
Saturday, June 22, 4 p.m. at Catskill Recreation Center, 651 County Hwy 38, Arkville (DEC Candidates Only).
DEC reserves the right to cancel any of the qualifying sessions listed above.
Certification courses may be available through DEC. For more information, updates, or to pre-register, call 518-457-2500 ext. #1, e-mail DEC at Info.LifeGuard@dec.ny.gov, or visit DEC's Employment Opportunities in Summer Recreation webpage, http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/726.html.